Work Day May 14

Neil and I (Pete H.) spent a considerable amount of time under the T86. It was a case of ‘let’s see how bad it is’ and once you start you tend to carry on. In fact the condition of the underside of the T86 was better than expected with a few corrosion patches but mostly flaking paintwork and dirt. We did find a rusted box section under the radar door. It looks very much that the repainting of the underside had been a cursory affair with a spray over what could be seen by not actually going under the cabin. I suspect nothing was cleaned prior to a respray, hence all the loose paint. Neil and I probably cleaned about 25% of the underside, Neil also removed rusty bolts that previously secured the flooring.

The new T86 door key was used to lock and unlock the cabin door. Thanks go to Dave for his work on the door mechanism and lock. We now have a complete set of LCP and T86 keys and door locks that work – yippee. Thanks to Nils in Sweden for sending us a copy of the Swedish radar door key, apparently the only thing he kept from his days with the radar.

I turned my attention back to the LCP cabin. One job to do was remove the remains of the keyring and lanyard attachment from all the plugs and sockets one the left hand side of the LCP cabin. This done it was a wire brush job to clean off the rusty screw heads before treating them with Kurust. The keyrings and lanyards that secure the rubber plug and socket covers will be replaced once repainting is completed.The refurbished fittings for the LCP roof catches were returned; these are zinc coated steel castings, nuts and bolts are stainless. Unfortunately coated steel spring washers were used on the main (long) securing bolts which have corroded over time and in many cases caused corrosion to eat away at the zinc coating on the catches. Before being primed the corrosion on the catches was treated with Kurust.

The LCP door vents had also been cleaned, rust treated and primed before being returned.

In working under the T86 cabin it was noticed that the trailer steering linkage had been disassembled at some time and not fully reinstalled. The main securing bolt had its nut on by only a few threads; how long had it been like that? The wiring for the trailer lights has braided wire sheath which in many places is completely corroded through. We are looking at completely removing the wiring and its sheathing to allow for a cabin repaint. All can be replaced after a repaint as the braided wire sheath can still be obtained.…and finally.

The simulator was run up and checked. No problems and it remains serviceable.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s